Re: Var-free programming (slightly off-topic)

At 12:00 PM 12/5/2001 -0500, Scott McKay wrote:
>At 11:13 PM 12/4/01, Dan Weinreb wrote:
>>    From: Scott McKay <swm@hotdispatch.com>
>>      (1) It should have a small, reasonably orthogonal core that has
>> extensibility
>>           built in from the start.
>>
>>What counts as extensibility?  Does this mean macros in the sense of
>>Lisp, Dylan, Jonathan's JSE?
>
>Extensibility includes being able to extend classes, functions, and syntax.

Why small and orthogonal, though? That would seem to be as much an
implementation issue as anything else. (And it's not really likely in
domain-specific languages, which I'd expect would have odd protruberances
matching their problem domain)

>>      (3) Highly layered approach to adding functionality.
>>
>>I honestly don't know what you're getting at here.
>
>It means that it should be easy to add "libraries" that integrate well
>with the rest of the language.  It means that the core language should
>not be cluttered with things that belong in libraries.  This, as I said,
>is partly a matter of good expository writing.

The distinction between core and libraries is a blurry one. I don't think
it ought be made as part of an evaluation of the language either--what
would you do with a language that, for example, stuck all its socket stuff
in a library, but automagically yanked in the library if the parser saw you
were using functions from it?

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk