Re: Scsh startup time

On 12/5/01 1:25 PM, "shivers@cc.gatech.edu" <shivers@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> Y'all got to help me kill this obsolete but persistent rumour that scsh
> is slow to start up. Or that it is anything but open source -- we fixed
> that one several years back, too, when Kelsey freed the S48 sources from
> NEC.

I was going to respond to this as soon as I saw it, but I worried that
perhaps there were extenuating circumstances to the claim of slow start-up I
didn't understand.

Anyway, I run scsh on both my Mac OS X 10.1.1 Apple G3 500 MHz "Pismo"
PowerBook and my Debian Linux 2.2.16 Toshiba Satellite 4270 Pentium III 500
MHz laptop. Here's some unofficial stats from the PowerBook:

bash-2.05$ time scsh
Scsh 0.5.3
> ^D
Exit the Scheme Shell (y/n)? y

real    0m2.657s
user    0m0.350s
sys     0m1.000s
bash-2.05$

Thatıs with my user-land delay of typing C-d to exit and y to confirm.

--
Dan Moniz <dnm@pobox.com> [http://www.pobox.com/~dnm/]