RE: what is a lightweight language

Day before yesterday I downloaded Guile and just
started typing things into the interpreter to see
what would happen.   And guess what, it was a lot
of fun.  This, after 12 years of using languages from
the C family.   Who would have thought that

	(=)  evaluates to #t
	(*) evaluates to 1

I realized that I could type anything to
the interpreter and get the interpreter's view of
what I wrote.

What was delightful about this experience was the
element of *play*.

Although I don't think this could seriously be part
of a general definition of "lightweight-ness", it does
relate to the level of effort that must be made to
do something/anything with a language.

Kevin Kelleher