Re: Java memory model

Would anyone care to speculate on why it's taking so long to fix the
Java memory model? The problem has been known since at least June 1999,
but JSR-133 gives this timetable:

   Initiation: June 2001
   Community Review: October 2001
   Public Review: November 2001
   Final Draft Proposal: January 2002

That's roughly 2 1/2 years just to get to the draft proposal stage.
(AFAIK, Step 2, the community review, didn't happen in October 2001.)

I can understand that (a) the problem is hard and (b) it's important to
get it right, but I'm still left with the feeling that progress has
slow. What seems to be the holdup?

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014