a fiend in the charts, and lust in their hearts

In a stupor produced by low serum caffeine levels, I wrote:

> I'm sure we're wandering afiend of the the list chart...

which, translated to English, means

> I'm sure we're wandering afield of the the list charter...

Now, for something completely different, what I truly lust for is a
world in which there is a Scheme (or even, recent mail suggests,
Parrot) front-end for GCC 3.  What a beautiful world that would be!
Has there been anything in the way of research, design, musing, or
troop-rallying in this area?