Re: What is a lightweight language

Mike raised this question at LL1. The answer is OS
connectivity and libraries, esp. string libraries.  People
need those to write actual programs. Common Lisp and Scheme
don't have them.  (Maybe some implementation thereof does,
but the standards don't).

For a big project like Viaweb, esp. when you have
competitors snapping at your heels, it can be a win
to use these more powerful languages.  But for smaller
problems (and all problems start small) the best libraries
win.

Result: good programmers *aren't* all programming in Scheme.
Some of them are.  But a lot of the smartest people I know
actually use Perl when they need to write something,
because Common Lisp is basically a quadruple amputee when
it comes to application programming.

Lisp has a lot of latent power though.  The hypothesis of
Arc is that all you have to do is add OS connectivity
and the usual libraries to Lisp and you have a butt-kicking
language.  (You may in fact get what Perl and Python become
as t approaches infinity, modulo syntax.)

Another thing Lisp has lacked is marketing.  We have a few
shameless tricks planned in the intellectual virus dept.
Check back with me in a year.

--pg