RE: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Paul Graham wrote:
> The alternative to designing for a hypothetical idiot isn't
> to design something just to please yourself.  The way to
> good design (good work in any field in fact) is to aim to
> please yourself and a small group of fairly sophisticated
> colleagues.  That's what mathematicians aim for; that's
> what Leonardo etc. aimed for; that's what the Porsche 911
> designers were thinking; that was Jane Austen's method.
> I think you'd be hard pressed to find an example of great
> work that wasn't created this way.

Its just a question of what market you want to hit.  There are  lots of
examples of successful products designed for a market rather than the
owners of the companies that created them:

Cars: The Ford Model T
Food: McDonalds
Beverage: Coca-cola
Software: MSFT Windows
Clothing: Blue Jeans and Khakies

Creating great art may place you in history.  But creating great
products makes people happy today.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                   i2x Media
1-917-783-0889 voice                    1-212-697-1427 fax