Re: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

Jon Schull wrote:

> This is very well put, but very unfortunate,
> because it ensures that all sorts of people who are sophisticated in other
> ways
> remain disenfrancised and disempowered,
> even though they are often in closer touch with the real world problems that
> really need solving
> and with the larger community that is the real market for all of us.

That's true. For me, a big part of the attraction of Python is that I
can put it in front of hard-core continuation-passing-style-loving
hackers and they tend to like it. I can also put it in front of business
analysts and they like it. It becomes a common ground. Python isn't a
universal language that everyone in the world will like but it certainly
seems to scale from newbies to super-geniouses.

>From a business standpoint, I find languages that do otherwise less
interesting. Unfortunately that includes parenthesized languages. They
seem to resonate neither with old-timers nor with newbies (perhaps the
newbies are brainwashed by the old-timers).

 Paul Prescod