Re: what is the problem?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Michael Vanier wrote:
> What surprises me is how
> many Ruby aficionados haven't tried python; the two languages are extremely
> similar.  Ruby has more syntax and a more Smalltalky object system, but
> other than that there isn't any compelling difference AFAICT.

You mentioned "more Smalltalky" (real metaclasses, all types are classes,
ubiquitous use of blocks, etc).
I would say that Ruby is also more Lispy: I find full closures, full
continuations, and the lack of expression/statement distinction to all be
compelling advantages over Python.  Although the influences of Smalltalk
are more obvious, Matz himself was a Lisp hacker, not a Smalltalk hacker,
before developing Ruby.

Which reminds me of (Jason Trenouth quoting) Keith Playford:

	Larry Wall never understood Lisp
	Guido Van Rossum once read a book on Lisp
	Yukihiro Matsumoto once read a book on Lisp and understood some of it

from
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=bgu4nt08q59705r1s1orh0tnp3pa5as23k%404ax.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmatsumoto%26hl%3Den%26group%3Dcomp.lang.lisp.*%26rnum%3D3%26selm%3Dbgu4nt08q59705r1s1orh0tnp3pa5as23k%25404ax.com