Re: what is the problem?

Thanks for the mention.  Google shows me a citation included in
discussion on comp.lang.python from way back.  My colleague Tim Peters
wrote:

    One of the first good papers to seriously question the value of
    classical nested scopes is Dave Hanson's "Is Block Structure
    Necessary?"  (Software Practice & Experience, Vol 11, pp 853-866,
    1981).  He argues that CSNS creates at least as many problems as
    it solves, that simple non-nested modules solve the same problems
    without CSNS's drawbacks, and illustrates with non-trivial
    programs written idiomatically in both styles.

It looks like a copy of the paper is also available online:

    http://max.cs.kzoo.edu/~rkent/Hanson/

Jeremy