RE: Functional Paradigm popularity and Maths (Was: XML as a transition to s-expr)

I suggest you contact Alan directly and ask for good references (also
query vivarium). He is pretty accessible, and this is a topic that has
historically been very near and dear to him.

You can also peruse the web for current educational activities relating
to Smalltalk.

For Example:

    http://dmoz.org/Computers/History/Pioneers/Kay,_Alan/

    http://www.squeakland.org/learn/

    http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/378

    http://www.squeakland.org/listarchive/squeakland/msg00029.html

    http://www.squeakland.org/learn/elementary.html

I would strongly suggest that what has "historically" made Smalltalk
applicable here is not the "language syntax", but rather the
language-semantics of objects and their presentation in the form of the
visual tools of an application (where Smalltalk evolved the
overlapping/windowing UI we all know and love today :-).

-- Dave S. [SmallScript LLC]

SmallScript for the AOS & .NET Platforms
David.Simmons@SmallScript.com | http://www.smallscript.org

Lisp
> before getting into lists and recursion. Quite a bit of web
programming is
> in fact, reactive programming. Process a form by reading the form
inputs,
> reading some data from files, writing data to other files (or
databases),
> sending email, and generating a web page. None of which requires
recursion
> and all of which is useful and fun for novices. Likewise, there is a
> fairly large design space for interactive programs that are reactive
and
> do not deal with lists, e.g. creating windows with menus, buttons,
> textfields, etc. and adding actions that read from various components
and
> write to others. In this contest lists arise naturally (e.g. how do I
deal
> with a form where multiple checkboxes are checked ---> leads into uses
of
> "map" or list recursion).
>
> > be a very difficult cognitive barrier that is limited by the persons
> > (mental development -- abstract thinking) "age" and the
corresponding