RE: Icon

It's not so much a conspiracy as Parkinson's Law.  They
don't have to make the product any better than it has to
be to prevent people from switching to something else.

Where this model of doing things runs into a wall is
server-based apps.  If MSFT wants to host apps, they're
going to have to figure out how to make them efficient,
because they're going to be paying for the hardware.