Re: need for macros (was Re: Icon)

Scheme 84 had this, and I don't see why this isn't in most Lisps.

Still, I believe that some features should not be in programming languages
because neither the designers nor the super programmers nor the average
programmers know how to reason about them systematically. I have come to
believe that 3D macros are one such thing. They co-mingle two radically
different phases: compilation and execution. You cannot possibly deploy a
program that is expanded like that on a different machine. The very idea
doesn't make sense. I guess in short, I believe in the strict separation of
passes. Otherwise I am open to pretty much everything :-)

-- Matthias