RE: continuations

I'll take a shot at it.  Continuations are a source of great expressive
power and confusion.

As you point out, logically a continuation is a control context
representing "the rest of the program".

The "square egg" explanation is that you capture/copy the stack at the
point of call so that you can go back and re-execute it later, perhaps
multiple times.

Continuations are related to CPS (Continuation Passing Style).  Which are
continuations built by hand (er, closure ;^).

E.g.
(define (factorial n) (if (< n 2) 1 (* n (factorial (- n 1)))

One can think of the stack at the maximum depth of (factorial 5) as:

(factorial 5) => (* 5 (* 4 (* 3 (* 2 (factorial 1)))))

in CPS form of factorial is:

(define (fact n k) ;; k is the continuation, a one argument block closure.
   (if (< n 2)
       (k 1)
       (fact (- n 1) (lambda (result) (k (* result n))

So each "stack frame" is a procedure which does "the rest of the
computation", i.e. do the multiply and return a value to "the rest of the
computation".

If you capture this continuation, you can do something else, apply it later
zero or more times.

So if we capture a contination and return it instead of a value this
procedure represents the "rest of the computation", the last bit of which
is:

  (* 5 (* 4 (* 3 (* 2 []))))

Where [] represents the "hole" where the continuation was captured.

OK, hold on to your seat.  Here is where it gets tricky.

> (define (call/cc-fact n)
    ;; define an "exit procedure" to return the inner continuation
    (call-with-current-continuation
      (lambda (exit)
       (letrec (
        (cc/fact
         (lambda (n)
           (if (< n 2)
              (call-with-current-continuation
                  ;; return inner continuation
                  (lambda (k) (exit (lambda (n) (k n)))))
              (* n (cc/fact (- n 1))))))
                )
        (cc/fact n)))))

> (call/cc-fact 5)
#<procedure #x14532A>

> (define k (call/cc-fact 5)) ;; captures (* 5 (* 4 (* 3 (* 2 []))))

> (define k2 k)

> (k 1)

120

> k2
#<procedure k2>

> (k2 5)

600

Wow!

So what happened was this.  Call/cc-fact captured the outer (exit)
continuation **at the point where k was about to be defined**.  When we
invoked the continuation (k 1) then the result was computed at the point
where (define k []) was being executed.

So after invoking (k 1) we had the effect of (define k 120).

After (k2 5) we re-defined k as (* 5 4 3 2 5) => 600.

So (call-with-current-continuation <proc>) packages up the "control
context" and hands that as a procedure/closure of one argument to the
<proc>.

Continuations are very useful in implementing debugging, handling
interrupts, REPL command levels, and multithreading.  [Hey, I got an
interrupt, let me capture the continuation, service the interrupt and get
back to you.  Actually, I have a higher priority thread, so let me invoke
that thread's continuation instead and remember this one's continuation for
later].

Continuations really are too powerful.  There are a great many papers
written on how to constrain this power.

Hope the above helps,
-KenD

--- K