Re: .NET CLR? was no subject

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:19:26 -0500
 "Oliver Steele" <steele@cs.brandeis.edu> wrote:
> Compared to JVM, .NET has support for unboxed
> datastructures both in
> classes and on the stack, and for tail-recursion, and I
> hear the next
> version will have support for parametric polymorphism.
> It's hard to
> imagine that it would be harder or less efficient to
> compile to than
> JVM.  Specifically, the Jython compiler is fast enough
> and creates
> efficient enough code to be completely usable for
> interactive
> development; it seems unlikely that a Python->.NET
> compiler should need
> to be worse.

I haven't looked at the Python .NET implementation, but
there is a short whitepaper that describes the initial
effort.  I believe the compiler that was implemented was too
slow to be useful; I recall that a lot of effort was spent
engineering the JPython compiler for performance.

http://www.activestate.com/Initiatives/NET/Research.html

Jeremy