Re: Macros and little languages

 Matthias Felleisen <matthias@ccs.neu.edu>:

> At Mon, 27 May 2002 09:26:39 -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > Re: infix versus prefix. I have more faith that you could convince the
> > world to use esperanto than prefix notation. But by all means, have
> > another go at it. Maybe it just needs one more try!
>
> Well, perhaps we really just want to tease you. After all, if you don't
> use prefix and parenthesized languages, we have an advantage. -- Matthias

I'm not sure of the tone of this conversation, but this quip just made me
realize something.

If we exist in a big pool of people who are all competing with one another,
then what you've said (Matthias) is true.  If we exist in a big pool of people
who are all cooperating with one another, then the opposite is true -- by
using a syntax amenable to one hundred times as many people, I gain one
hundred times as many tool authors, clients, collaborators, etc.

Of course in reality we exist in a more complex situation were both kinds of
interaction are important.

But this has made me realize that there is an opposite side to Paul Graham's
"How I Used Lisp To Outdo My Non-Lisp Competitors" story -- it also implies that
he wasn't taking advantage of other people's code as much as his erstwhile
competitors could have.

FWIW the current Python culture (as well as, I'm sure, the current Lisp
culture) is very much on the side of cooperation viz competition with regard
to source code and object code.  The python-list is famously friendly, and
Python has mature traditions of interoperating with code from the C/C++ and
Java worlds.

(BTW, I'm a bit of an economic cynic and I expect this culture to prove
non-scalable.  ;-))

Regards,

Zooko

-------