RE: orthogonality and generalized references (was Re: Zen of Python)

Hi, Matthias.  Actually, it's precisely my point that anybody versed in
Icon will immediately recognize the sequence of success and failure
computations because success/failure is central to Icon.  By learning to
reason about success and failure as primitive/essential/fundamental
notions, an Icon programmer feels comfortable with them and can exploit
them to their advantage.

(I would guess that you'd argue something similar about explicit
higher-order programming, continuations, etc.  Once you feel comfortable
with them, their power is yours to exploit.)

You can obviously argue that one *can* synthesize success/failure
computations from other primitives in Scheme.  Absolutely correct.  But,
I'd argue that the unfortunate thing is that one *must* synthesize them
to have them, thereby raising the cost of exploiting the concept.  I
simply think that it's unfortunate that success/failure computations
must be synthesized in non-goal-directed languages, thereby minimizing
the likelihood of them being used effectively.

Cheers,
Todd