Re: in defense of types

I agree with everything you say.  Now I'd like to hear what you say against
types in the academic world ;-)

My view is that types are a very cheap invariant to maintain; in fact, they
usually have negative cost because their presence usually allows
optimizations that are impossible without them.  Add to that the increased
probability of program correctness and it's a solid win.  The downside is
that in languages with weak type systems (e.g. almost anything but ML)
there is a pretty hefty hit on expressiveness.  Another hit is the
increased verbosity in any language without type inference (again, almost
anything but ML).  Even in ML dialects it's tricky to incorporate some
features (e.g. object-orientation; I know ocaml does it but it's not the
most graceful fit).

Also, I don't recall PG challenging the usefulness of static typing.  Maybe
it was the verbosity of explicitly-declared types that he was arguing
against.  Paul?

Mike