Re: Common Lisp "let"

I don't think this quote from your web page,
http://www.prescod.net/xml/sexprs.html, is particularly accurate:

"
Since the late 50s there has existed a subculture of computer science
devoted to the obscure but sophisticated programming language
known as Lisp. The Lisp cabal is understaqndably frustrated to see their
ideas reinvented or copied elsewhere. One recent source of
consternation has been the popularity of XML. There exists a persistent
meme that XML is just a new-fangled, verbose form of
s-expressions.
"

I believe McCarthy suggested in 1982, in a German journal, that
S-expressions be used as a medium of communication between
companies.  Here's his view on the subject:
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/cbcl.html.

XML is like the initial pattern matching half of a Lisp macro.  A DTD
defines the valid shape of an XML expression.  It can indicate a violation,
but not actually construct the corresponding domain object.  Hopefully some
extenstion  to XML can do that.

It would be really useful, if there was a way to read an XML expression and
convert it into an object in my language.