Re: following up on speed

>> On a sort-of related note, I've wondered for a long time why garbage
>> collection isn't provided as an operating system service instead of
>> having
>> to be re-implemented for every single language that needs it

It's my impression that to have a system-wide cross-language GC, the
languages
would all have to agree to follow certain conventions at runtime, such
as rules
about which registers are used for what purpose at all times, and about
conventions for
telling the GC when it can roll back the PC in certain ways, etc.. If
so, that's a more stringent
requirement that's hard to meet in these days of mix-and-match software.
Olin Shivers, can you comment?

-- Dan