Typing for the programmer's convenience

Shriram Krishnamurthi writes:
> Reginald Braithwaite-Lee wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone working on typing systems from the perspective of program
> > correctness? Can anyone provide some reference materials for study?
>
> How about the last thirty years of so of type theory?
>
> A good starting point would be Benjamin Pierce's recent book, which
> provides a nice compendium of the basic material you would need to
> understand contemporary research.

The page for the book: <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/tapl/>

It's amazing how much the literature opens up as soon as you know
even a little operational semantics, and how opaque it seems until
you learn it. It would be nice if more programmers knew about it;
it seems to me like there's this big storehouse of cool stuff that
no one seems to use nearly as much as they should.

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@alum.mit.edu