Re: Industry versus academia

Spencer Schumann wrote:

>I have read Paul Graham's essay on how Lisp enabled his company to produce
>better online stores faster than anyone else could.

How big was his company?  How hand-picked were the programmers? I
haven't read the essay,
but I did hear Paul Grahams LL1 talk advocating designing languages
specifically for the most wizardly
programmers.

> If there were more stories
>like this, I think the industry would take notice that, although they could
>do the same kinds of things with languages like C++, some other language
>could make their programmers so much more productive that it would be insane
>to do things "the old way."

Such stories would be more persuasive to industry to the extent that
they were stories about hundreds and
thousands of ordinary programmers at mainstream companies.