Re: Industry versus academia

>Why does Java need JNI?
>Why are there any?
We use JNI to access MIP/LP solvers written in C/C++ (used to be
Fortran). When Java solves it's numerics problems maybe there'll be
quality solvers that would make this unnecessary.

And we've never had such code in Lisp or other languages we use
here. If we'd had these (or had the time to write such things instead
of applications -- it's always been on my queue for the next month for
the past couple years :) this issue would perhaps be moot. (And if
people know of such things -- not some re-implementation of simplex, but
robust implementations of barrier methods, cutting plane heuristics,
MIP/quadratic solvers -- send me a note).

Thanks.