Re: how is polymorphism used?

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 08:40 AM, Russ Ross wrote:
> My first guess would be that in most (not all) applications there
> are a few generic utility classes/modules/functions and the rest of
> the code is pretty tied to certain types, even if the language
> doesn't force this.  In other words, for most code you could replace
> it with a statically typed language without really changing much.
> What does your experience suggest?

I think it depends a lot on the level of programming you're doing. For
writing low level things like encryption algorithms, dynamic features
might not be needed or be worth the performance hit. But for writing
high level things like applications with user interfaces, the majority
of the code might make good use of dynamic typing. The more reusable
components and advanced design patterns are involved, the more dynamic
typing seems to be useful.

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html