RE: learning languages [Was: Re: Y Store now C++]

> Based on your experience, how hard is it, really, for a programmer
> to learn a new language?
>
> It seems to me that there is a lot of "conceptual crossover", and
> once you understand the underlying ideas (polymorphism, closures,
> whatever) learning a new *language* is fairly trivial in
> comparison.

Of course this is true, but in a real-world work environment this
becomes a surprisingly real road block.

Brooks is often quoted for his 10:1 efficiency ratio between programmers,
and I must say in practice that my observations bear this out.  Many
developers today do not wish to learn new techniques unless there is a
clear bottom-line advantage to doing so.  And many managers will throw
any non-standard language out the window if it even involves one day
of down-time due to training/ramp-up.

In my experience, upper management won't agree to support new languages
that may require training or work (unless sufficiently hyped in the
media), but *will* support the learning curve for new tools.  And
few will argue that development frameworks can be ignored, and so will
allow a few days for learning the framework into the schedule.

The trick is probably to implement the DSL in an existing language (so
new users don't have to learn new syntax), and market it as a "framework"
so that it seems like you are adding value by learning a toolkit that
could be used at multiple jobs.

So, perhaps the DSL terminology must become DSF (Domain-Specific
Frameworks)?

-Brent