Re: Aspect Oriented Programming in context of lightweight languages.

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 05:51 AM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> If it weren't for this particular application - e.g. if Java had a
> powerful
> preprocessor - I suspect aspects might not be enjoying as warm a
> reception,
> if only because it would be easier to resist them by saying "but I can
> do
> that with...".  Aspects would then have to be sold on the basis that
> they
> provide a more disciplined and coherent way to make transformations
> across a
> code base - not necessarily a bad feature technically, but one that
> might
> not generate quite as much interest.

I'd buy that theory if the press I've seen on Aspects was touting that
feature. But most of what I've seen seems to be "Hey, remember how big
Object Oriented Programming was? Well now there's Aspect Oriented
Programming". One has to wonder if they had called it "The Aspect
Design Pattern" if anyone would have noticed. :-)

Cheers,
Steve
Io, a small language: http://www.iolanguage.com/