Re: condition systems?

Ken> What about condition systems, or exception handling?  Are they
Ken> worth discussion in the context of lightweight languages?  My
Ken> guess is yes, but i don't recall such a thread on this list.

Richard Kelsey and I have tried to distill the essence of some
prominent exception systems into SRFIs 34 and 35:

http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-34/
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-35/

One of the biggest sources of confusion with exception systems is that
there are several distinct uses of "exception systems" with different
requirements, yet people try to meet all of them with the same
system.  (In that way, exception systems are very similar to module
systems.)  In particular, here are some distinct uses:

1. communication between (parts of) programs about exceptional
   situations in the environment
2. extending the underlying system
3. program bugs and test suites
4. asynchronous interrupts

Note that the SRFIs mentioned above only try to address #1.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike