RE: Hackers and Painters and Lawyers and Docs

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 10:06, Scott McKay wrote:
> Actually, the studies I've read show exactly the opposite.
> Like all of us, doctors make way more mistakes when they
> are tired, and this is one reason why in New York, e.g.,
> there was some movement (legislative?  I can't remember,
> since it was a few years back) to cut the hours of interns
> and residents.  I think this happened, and it has certainly
> happened in Boston area teaching hospitals.  My wife is a
> doctor, so we have a direct interest in following this stuff.

In New York, residents can work no more than 80 hours per week or 24
hours consecutively.  The legislation was prompted by a patient who was
killed after being attended by a resident, although the resident in
question wasn't overworked.

Residents, even in NY, would probably love to adopt XP for the notion of
sustainable pace -- http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SustainablePace

Jeremy