writing higher-order functions

> Also, higher-order functions are a joy to write and apply...
You can (apply fun args), but if you (write fun),
you don't usually get useful results.
What semantics would you propose for that?

Chuangtse and Hueitse had strolled onto the bridge over the Hao,
when the former observed, ``See how the small fish are darting about!
That is the happiness of the fish.'' ``You are not a fish yourself,''
said Hueitse. ``How can you know the happiness of the fish?'' ``And you
not being I,'' retorted Chuangtse, ``how can you know that I do not know?''
		-- Chuangtse, circa 300 B.C.