A practical programmer explains OOP

Bob Bane said:

> This looks like a good time to point at Jonathan Rees list of OOP
> features:
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/reesoo.html

This brought to mind my introduction to OOP by a talented
but notoriously inarticulate programmer:

NIP: Do you know what OOP is?

Me:  No.

NIP: Ah.  Well, you have objects and methods.
       Objects: objects aren't anything.  And
       methods are how you talk to objects.
       Okay?

Me:  Sure.

I knew there was no point in asking questions -- this was
the man at his most expository.  I took him to mean, "Forget
what objects *are*, just work with them."

--
Kevin Kelleher <kkell@znet.com>