RE: What's so cool about Scheme?

Steve Dekorte wrote:
> On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 10:02 AM, Russ Ross wrote:
> > How many lines of code in the gcc distribution or in glibc?
>
> Does Scheme not use libc?

I think the original point is one of leverage.  Any given amount of Scheme
translates to more C code - so if you're able to arrange to implement your
language in something like Scheme, your codebase will be smaller and more
manageable.

The example you mentioned, Scheme48, demonstrates this in terms of the
amount of C code generated from the PreScheme used to implement its VM and
GC.  I don't remember the numbers offhand, but there's a significant factor
between the source PreScheme and the generated C.

Anton