Re: continuations over the network

FR> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:21:49PM +0200, Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] wrote:
Francois-Rene> Problem is, Kali did so much for you that you had
Francois-Rene> little control.  If you want a system where the
Francois-Rene> programmer can explicitly reify continuations and
Francois-Rene> migrate them over the network, try David Alan Halls'
Francois-Rene> Tube.

>> Huh?  (Not that this is pertinent to Scott's question.)  Reification
>> and migration are explicit operations in Kali as well.  (Reification
>> is an explicit operation in Scheme per se.)

FR> Well, I meant marshalling/serializing/whatever in a user-visible way.
FR> IIRC, Kali considered all nodes as part of a same uniform pool of processors,
FR> and would do its own background load-balancing of processes. The user-visible
FR> migration primitive would advise the system to move a few stack frames worth
FR> of computation to the destination processor, with no guarantee as to where
FR> any specific computation would actually take place.

No.  This characterization is entirely incorrect, as far as I can see.
(Not that you couldn't write a load-balancing tool, but the default
mode is to explicitly specify where you want something to run.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike