Re: Why Images Bother People (or, at least me)

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 09:26 AM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> One reason I don't particularly care for the whole "image" concept is
> that it seems overly monolithic.  You can't make use of a small
> language core that only loads resources it needs for the job at hand
> -- you load the whole 50 Meg image, whether you want to access a
> database or play MPEG movies, or just print "Hello, World!".

While I don't disagree entirely, it really is an implementation detail.
Gemstone obviously doesn't have this limitation (not to imply that
firing up a GS/S gem or stone is particularly lightweight or fast!) as
the entire "image" can be massive. I'm sure there are others that
don't, or won't at some point in time. GC becomes an issue once you
start splitting image segments up, but again... an implementation issue.