Re: Why Images Bother People (or, at least me)

On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 10:38 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:
> However, there is a focus in the Squeak community on portability (one
> of
> the major contributors, for example, works exclusively on an Acorn
> machine), and so people have a very strong tendency to reimplement
> things
> in Squeak rather than relying on external tools or libraries.  This can
> have big payoffs - moving a multimedia-heavy app from Linux to Windows
> Mac OS X to Mac OS 9 to WinCE handhelds, and having it run
> pixel-identically on each, has been a pretty convincing sell in the
> past.

If you're talking about multimedia things like audio/video
encoding/decoding, the libraries that do those things are often ANSI C
and quite portable. If you're talking about rendering, then you need to
really need to use the graphics and sound hardware to get good
performance and that (realistically) involves using C too.

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html