Re: LFM + LFSP = LFE?

On Friday, Jun 13, 2003, at 22:10 US/Eastern, Michael Vanier wrote:
> python (and ruby, and PLT scheme)
> have a notion of modules that goes beyond anything I've seen in
> Smalltalk
> (although I gather that this is a big topic of current debate).  Not
> having
> a decent module system is pretty much a show-stopper for modern
> scripting
> languages

A good module system is essential if you're building a sizable system
or running on a server.

We have a web app with code from multiple languages, and there's a lot
of Perl code.  We recently hired a Perl guru who looked at what we had.
  He gasped when he saw the number of variables that would essentially
live in an insecure global namespace if we were using mod_perl.  (To be
fair to the original developers, most of the Perl code was written
before Perl learned to be object-oriented or modular.)

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk