Re: s-exprs + prototypes

[Anton van Straaten <anton@appsolutions.com>]

> Given all this, a question that could be asked, which I do mainly
> rhetorically and for thought-provoking purposes, is why a language would
> implement something as simple as a pair in terms of a much more complex
> structure, such as an OO object or class?  Isn't that a little like
> implementing a scooter by strapping a platform with handlebars to the top of
> an SUV?

Well, rhetorically speaking, is it really better to go the other way?
Would you rather implement an SUV by first building a really tough,
heavy-duty scooter, then strapping 5000 pounds of steel and a
big-ass engine to the top?

When it comes to language design, I guess I feel like that's actually
the right approach, more or less (but better make that scooter really
bulletproof and low-friction)... But the analogy makes it sound
awfully silly...

Matt

--
Matt Hellige                  matt@immute.net