Re: s-exprs + prototypes

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 10:52 AM, Pascal Costanza wrote:
> The Lisp paradigm is rooted in the belief that there is no single
> right perception of reality. Instead, a language has to provide the
> building blocks that allow you to reconstruct any perception of the
> world.

What I'm saying is that an object = functions & data in a
context/scope. If LISP has functions and data in a context, it has
objects. The only difference (AFAICS) is which scoping rules you choose.

> So what you are discussing is the question whether a single-paradigm
> approach is preferable over a multi-paradigm approach, or vice versa.
> These two views cannot be reconciled by definition. The proponent of a
> single-paradigm approach thinks that he/she has found the right model
> for any description of the real world whereas the multi-paradigm
> proponent thinks that things can be so vastly different from instance
> to instance that no single paradigm can ever be suitable to each and
> every description of the world. [1]

Lisp's choice of scoping rules defines it's "paradigm". It's not clear
to me how it's any more "multi-paradigm".

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html