Re: CPS in Parrot (was: A plea for a new old language)

At 4:52 PM -0700 8/5/03, Michael Vanier wrote:
>I think the difficulty with continuations is even more basic than you
>describe.  Continuations used in the call/cc sense violate our most basic
>assumption about functions, which is that a function called from HERE is
>going to return back HERE (the same place).  Continuations let you say: a
>function called from HERE is going to return back WHEREVER, where WHEREVER
>is some location in the code that was previously captured in the
>continuation, lexicals and all.  This idea that you can control where a
>function call is going to return is tremendously powerful, but is also very
>tough to wrap your mind around (I still don't feel I fully get it).

That confusion really comes about if you think of continuations as
function calls. They really aren't, as such--while you can implement
function calls with them, in languages that have function calls and
continuations I think keeping them separate leads to less confusion.

--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk