Re: Continuations

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Dekorte <steve@dekorte.com> writes:

Steve> On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 8:54 AM, Michael Sperber wrote:
>> >So AFAICS, continuations only work if you
>> > don't call back into the VM from C.
Steve> >
>> That's, as it stands, incorrect.  There are limitations, to be sure,
>> but not quite so severe.  The Scheme 48 C FFI, for example, shows how
>> to make this work for many instances.

Steve> I'd be interested to know how it does that.

The manual at http://www.s48.org/ pretty much spells out how it's
done.  The basic idea is that you can call the VM any time you like
with the effect of continuing execution in the Scheme code.  This
means you can keep C continuation frames around.  The only limitation
is that you can call them only once, and only while they're still
around.  (There's some more stuff to do with threads, but that's also
documented.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike