Re: bindings and assignments (was: Re: continuations)

At 4:04 PM -0400 8/21/03, Guy Steele - Sun Microsystems Labs wrote:

>And you're right: we were not out to win over the Lisp programmers;
>we were after the C++ programmers.  We managed to drag a lot of them
>about halfway to Lisp.  Aren't you happy?

I would be happier had the hype campaign not presented
Java as the ultimate programming language, obviating any
need for any more programming languages, ever.  Yes, it
dragged a lot of people halfway to Lisp, but it also
tricked them into thinking that that's as far as they
need ever look.

Because of some outside interests, I have a lot of chances
to meet 3'rd and 4'th year high school students and 1'st
and 2'nd year undergrads, and it's depressing how well the
"Java the Ultimate" message has sunk in.