RE: Rather, DSSLs increase modularity, productivity

> One of my biggest reservations about the newest crop of Handley-Milner
> fpls is that they make useful metaprogramming almost impossible.

Oh, I disagree strongly with this assertion.  For example:

1)  The C-- project is a compiler that converts "C--" input code to appropriate assembly
instructions, and it's coded in Ocaml.  (http://www.cminusminus.org)

2)  ML (Meta-Language) was originally designed as a metaprogramming tool.

3)  Please read through Graydon Hoare's "One-Day-Compilers" talk (http://www.venge.net/graydon/talks/mkc/html/mgp00001.html) on implementing program generating programs in OCaml.  (Subtitle:  "How I learned to stop worrying and love static metaprogramming."

-Brent