Re: The Accessibility of Type Theory Research

On 2003-11-20T20:10:17-0800, James McCartney wrote:
> >>The idea that we who don't grok type theory symbols should stay out
> >>of language design reminds me of the part in 100 Years of Solitude
> >>where people were flying around the village on magic carpets while
> >>the local scientist scoffed and refused to let his family partake in
> >>the new fad until he figured out a scientific basis for it.

> >I wonder where you get that idea; I haven't seen it on this thread.

> from here?:

> >While there are several home care books, most people ultimately refer
> >to a trained doctor, right? [...]
> >It's even better in language design: there's no certification board
> >that prevents you from hanging out your shingle.

> >IMHO language implementors should read these papers
> >over and over again until their eyes bleed.

> >Also I don't think you can "grok" something in CS
> >without "groking" mathematics and notation.

Hrm.  As far as I can tell, the three quotes from you say or imply the
following things, respectively:

  - Language design/implementation should be done by people who know how
    to design/implement languages.

  - Language design/implementation should be done by people who have
    tried hard to understand type theory papers.

  - You can't grok something in CS without groking mathematics and
    notation.

These three things don't entail your idea.

	Ken

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
http://www.thismodernworld.com/