Re: Extensible syntax

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Tom Locke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ...seeking links / advice...
>
> I'm currently working on a language that is extensible in the same way
> that "Lisp is a programmable programming language". The intention is to
> come up with a language that can easily morph into a wide range of DSLs.
>
> Thoughts? Links?

The Maude reflection logic rewriting programming language happens to have
a mixfix syntax system which can be meta-programmed which is remarkably
like lisp's, except more friendly to the reader.

See the website: http://maude.cs.uiuc.edu/

The programmer's manual was online as html, with section 2.7 covering the
syntax system in relative detail; however, it's been down since sometime
after the 2.0 release, so the pdf or tarred versions will have to do.
There's a description at http://cliki.tunes.org/Syntax%20in%20Maude . The
syntax system does rely on particular properties of Maude semantics, so
it's not a coincidence that it developed as it did.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development