Re: mapping data

This seminar might be somewhat relevant to this thread:

dynamic languages seminar
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/dynlangs/

who:   jonathan bachrach
when:  friday, dec 19, 2-3pm, refreshments from 1.45p to 2p.
what:  goo/x: a lightweight c embedding facility
what:

a big challenge in programming language design is how best to interface
to c code. problems stem from type, syntax, and semantic mismatches
between languages. many solutions have been proposed through the years.
as a case study, we first briefly present several c extension
facilities for python. we then introduce a simple yet powerful c
embedding facility, called goo/x, for the goo dynamic language which
permits direct inlining of c inside of goo code escaping back into goo
as needed. we then show how goo/x can be used in conjunction with
macros adding considerably to its power. these mechanisms can be used
together to define interfaces in a declarative manner, while at the
same time avoiding excess interface layers, combining calls, type
conversions and goo specific operations. we argue that goo/x makes
simple c call outs and backs easy, simple c interfaces simple and more
complicated interfaces manageable.

who:   jonathan bachrach is a csail research scientist,
http://www.jbot.org
where: 8th floor playroom of 200 tech square ("ne43")
where: http://www.ai.mit.edu/visiting/directions.shtml