[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan's direction

Rob Myers <robm@lostwax.com> writes:

> >  I personally like
> > the idea of dylan becoming an important web technology. Other
> > languages like java, javascript, perl, python, etc. have enjoyed
> > much success lately mostly due to their web tie-ins.
> The web market is over-crowded, and the major players are well-established.

Right. But there's a weak spot in all of the available products
(except WebObjects, but that is proprietary): performance. All the
major products suffer from the fact that their languages are
interpreted.

> XML. If we have a socket library, an HTTP library and XML we have the web,
> XML-RPC and serialization to XML.

Aye. XML is important.

I see the future of Dylan not only in a niche market, but as a
replacement of C++ and perl in everyday programming. The web just
happens to be important today, and it happens to be a niche where
people already are used to using high level languages.

Andreas

--
"We should be willing to look at the source code we produce not as the
end product of a more interesting process, but as an artifact in its

Follow-Ups: References: