[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dylan's direction

Hi everyone,
   I have been thinking lately of where the dylan
language is heading. We have had some very interesting events
occur recently with the creation of Functional Objects, Inc. and
the expected release of a 2.0 version of a dylan programming
environment for windows. Plus, the work being done by the GD
people is really turning that project into a serious possibility
on unix boxes. Also, we are seeing some crossover between the
GD people and the Functional Objects people which will benefit
everyone. All of this suggests that dylan is growing and has a
future, but just what this future is I am not so sure.
   The question becomes do we have a vision? I personally like
the idea of dylan becoming an important web technology. Other
languages like java, javascript, perl, python, etc. have enjoyed
much success lately mostly due to their web tie-ins. This seems
like an area Dylan would do well in, but writing the modules and
libraries to make this happen will require much work.
   What type of model should we have going forward? Is our goal to
increase the popularity of dylan? Make dylan more dev friendly?
Focus on backwards compatibility? Or look for the next big thing
and position dylan to take advantage of it? Are we interested in
applications, network, distributed computing, security?
   I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the future of dylan
and where people think we should focus our efforts.

James

dylanworld.com