[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan's direction

In article <814h2c$be4$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, kachinadtm@my-deja.com wrote:

> It would be a real break if
> the software could be written in Dylan on top of a Linux based OS.
> Anyone doing this?

d2c already works on LinuxPPC.  What do you meed?

The biggest problem I see at the moment is code bloat.  "Hello world" is
nearly two megabytes.  This compares poorly with g++ at about half a MB
and C at a few KB.

We have a lot of potential to change this by using whole-program
compilation and being more selective about what C code we emit, and
tweaking the generation of generic functions to use static discriminator
functions where possible and figuring out which methods can never be
called.  But it's not done yet...

-- Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: