[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ANN: "Interacting with CORBA" article

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 09:31:46 -0500, "Steve Vinoski"
<vinoski@preventspamiona.com> wrote:

> Jason Trenouth wrote in message ...
> >Sure, but we want to know what the difference is between that and a
> scripting
> >language adopted by the scripting RFP.
>
> This has grown most tiresome. Jason, no offense, but it appears that
> you're looking for a fight, but nobody here wants to give you one.

Well, Steve, I didn't want to give offense myself, nor look for a fight. I'm
just looking for a straight explanation. If I point out that the proffered
explanations are bogus then that's not looking for a fight.

> Michi has answered the question regarding the RFP, to the best of his
> knowledge. Why keep asking the same question over and over if it's
> obvious that you're not going to get the answer you're looking for?

I'm afraid that it wasn't obvious until now. Clearly, at this point, if two
well known CORBA folks like yourself and Michi don't have a sensible answer
off the cuff then I will have to go an look through the archives for myself.

> According to OMG rules, anybody can draft an RFP. Somebody decided to
> draft an RFP for a new CORBA-specific scripting language. I'm
> reasonably sure they had what they thought were good reasons, but I'm
> not totally sure because I wasn't involved. Michi has already stated
> that there was discussion regarding your particular pet peeve during
> the overall RFP discussion. If you're really interested, why don't you
> go to the OMG web site, find the RFP in question and find the minutes
> of the meeting where it was discussed, and read them for yourself?

I guess I'll have to do that since the answer isn't widely known. Naturally,
I'll report back if I find anything.

> Scripting in CORBA is new to many of the old OMG hands who think only
> of Java and C++. If it takes an RFP for a CORBA-specific scripting
> language to break the ice and get scripting languages on the map,
> what's wrong with that? I believe the Python mapping was around for
> quite awhile before this RFP, and yet thanks to that RFP, we now have
> an official Python mapping. This is goodness. If someone now comes in
> with an RFC (not RFP) for the Perl mapping that's been around for
> years, and the mapping complete, I would expect it to be adopted too.

So what next? An RFP for "programming languages beginning with the letter X"?
:-j

> If you want to write an RFC for Dylan, please do!

I did, years ago, but circumstances have meant it has not been submitted to
the OMG.

> Sheesh, let's stop beating the freakin' dead horse and move on to some
> worthwhile discussion.

Jeez, I thought it was a simple enough question. The thread might have been
shorter if folks had kept quiet or admitted that the answer was not known to
them.

__Jason

Follow-Ups: References: