[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan Projects

In article <5oyo4.7259$0d4.62575@typhoon.columbus.rr.com>,
  "Bruce Tobin" <btobin@infinet.com> wrote:
> I've been having some discussions about technical recruiting with my
boss.
> He's looking for ways to attract really top-flight developers to our
region
> (we're in Columbus, OH).   I suggested that one way to do this would
be to
> promise people that a certain percentage of time could be devoted to
> projects in a language that has advanced features but marginal
commercial
> viability.

For myself, I would say no.  Currently I'm being paid to work 100% in
Dylan.   The project has been very successful.  Life is good.

IMHO, the general idea is in the right track though.  I think its
important to cultivae a atmosphere of innovation. For example, we are
currently building a new engineering group that will use Dylan whenever
we can (mostly applications level), for a system which can be described
as networked supercomputers.  Our customers expect only the latest and
the best, so we are working with cutting edge stuff with cutting edge
tech (like Dylan).  When you do that your company develops an 'aura'
which attracts the *best* talent.  I can already see the effects too.

The *right* people have to be recruited, not hired.

Les

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Follow-Ups: References: