[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need help with Class-Allocated Slots

rwk@americom.com wrote in message
<20000622090331.4309.qmail@gorn.americom.com>...
>Forgive me for asking the obvious, as I am sure it has been stated
>before if this was discussed previously, but why isn't a direct
>mechanism for accessing class slots designed into the language?

During the design of Dylan, I proposed that class slots be accessible
by calling the accessor on the class object itself, but Moon didn't like
it because it confuses class vs. instance.  I agree with Moon on the
exact point, but I still think that the semantics of my dumb-ass proposal
are well enough understood, that it is probably reasonable.

Follow-Ups: References: